Fourth in the series of Fluid Mechanics Laboratory videos.
More information on the subject:
- Procedure for the Experiment
- Data Spreadsheet for the Experiment
- Buoyancy and Stability: An Introduction (instructor’s handout)
- The Physics Behind “Rock the Boat”
- A Quick Overview of the CGS System. This is the best unit system to use with this and many other laboratory experiments.
- The Experimental Determination of the Metastatic Height. A textbook treatment (with worked example) of the experiment actually run.
- Know Your Own Ship
- Naval Ships’ Technical Manual Chapter 096: Weights and Stability
- The Propulsive Power of Screw Ships. Once you get them stable, ships have to go somewhere, and this is an investigation of how much power they take to do it.
- When the Pathfinder Gets Lost: some students like to “follow the lead” of someone else to get the course work done. That can have negative results other than those described in the syllabus, just like this example.
- My Special Interest in This Topic